Amanda-Users

Re: amdump ok amrestore not!

2003-05-22 12:12:19
Subject: Re: amdump ok amrestore not!
From: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>
To: Ryan Moreton <ryan.moreton AT edge-logic DOT com>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 12:08:56 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 22 May 2003 at 4:57pm, Ryan Moreton wrote

> amrestore:   0: skipping start of tape: date 20030521 label EdgeLogic1
> amrestore: strange amanda header: "AMANDA: FILE 20030521 localhost /var/opt
> lev 0 comp(.g~ program$/bin/tar"

Not to state the obvious, but that header is corrupted.

> I think it has something to do with the tapetype in the amanda.conf file:
> define tapetype ADR {
>     comment "OnStream ADR tape drives"
>     length 30000 mbytes        # 30 Gig tapes
>     filemark 32 kbytes                 # I don't know what this means
>     speed 1579 kbytes          # 1.5 Mb/s
> }

Nope, it has nothing to do with that -- that just tells amanda how big
your tapes are.

In fact, this has nothing to do with amanda, really.  It has to do with
your tape drive and driver.  The OnStream drives have been a consistent
source of trouble on this list.  What driver are you using?  Can you test
with just a plain tar to the tape and try to restore that?

Also, search the list archives at
<http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=amanda-users> -- this particular
issue *may* have come up before.

You may also want to search RedHat's bugzilla for issues regarding your
tape drive.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering