Amanda-Users

Re: Can't quite read tape

2003-05-14 11:12:30
Subject: Re: Can't quite read tape
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:10:56 -0400
On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:53:34AM -0400, Josh Kuperman wrote:

> On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:23:55AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> > Josh,
> >
> > Let amanda do the work.
> >
> > # amrestore -p /tape/drive amclient-name partition-name | (os)restore -if -
> > .
> >

> There are two problems. I did try this first, since I have been
> printing out instructions which say to do exactly that without testing
> them. When I set up the Cobalt server, I downloaded the version of
> gnutar that was recommended and started using tar instead of
> dump. restore is the inverse of dump and is not usable with a tar
> archive.

You should be able to change Brian's command to '...... | gnutar xf -
<files-dir>'
Might need the gzip -dc in there too.

The restore part of amrestore does not imply dump/restore.

> Is there any difference between manually positioning the tape to the
> file and using dd and using amrecover. That is, given the output of
> the dump says that file # 4, on host X, contails filesystem /. Then is
> there a difference between
>
> >mt -f /dev/nst0 asf 4
> >dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 | restore -if -
>
> and
> >amrestore -p /dev/nst0 X / | restore -if -

I think they are equivalent, but in your original post, if you followed
the sequence you showed, you first read over the header and then skipped
another 32K block when you extracted the data.  There should have been
a repositioning command between them.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)