Amanda-Users

Re: Can't quite read tape

2003-05-14 10:55:32
Subject: Re: Can't quite read tape
From: Josh Kuperman <josh AT saratoga.lib.ny DOT us>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:53:34 -0400
On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 10:23:55AM -0400, Brian Cuttler wrote:
> Josh,
>
> Let amanda do the work.
>
> # amrestore -p /tape/drive amclient-name partition-name | (os)restore -if - .

There are two problems. I did try this first, since I have been
printing out instructions which say to do exactly that without testing
them. When I set up the Cobalt server, I downloaded the version of
gnutar that was recommended and started using tar instead of
dump. restore is the inverse of dump and is not usable with a tar
archive.

And running a full restore of the partition to my tape host is not an
option because it is too large , I need to extract the one user
directory from the tape. [It is conceivable that if I could restore
the compressed tar archive to my Cobalt server, but I still need to
figure out why I can't extract anything and why it is not being
recognized as a zip.

Is there any difference between manually positioning the tape to the
file and using dd and using amrecover. That is, given the output of
the dump says that file # 4, on host X, contails filesystem /. Then is
there a difference between

>mt -f /dev/nst0 asf 4
>dd if=/dev/nst0 bs=32k skip=1 | restore -if -

and
>amrestore -p /dev/nst0 X / | restore -if -

[ I don't remember exactly how you specify the root system but this is
just an example.]

--
Josh Kuperman
josh AT saratoga.lib.ny DOT us