Amanda-Users

Re: Feature Request: eject option for amflush

2003-05-14 10:43:42
Subject: Re: Feature Request: eject option for amflush
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 10:41:54 -0400
On Wed, May 14, 2003 at 11:29:09AM +0200, Nicki Messerschmidt wrote:

> Hi,
> I think an eject option for amflush would be a very useful thing,
> because one cant do somethin like
> amdump; mt -f /dev/nst0 offline
> because amflush does some asking an then exits. An I don't like to wait
> for the tape to be rewinded and then ejected. How do you think about it?

I suppose you mean by the last line that you don't like to
physically sit there waiting.

As a workaround I think a little shell script would work.

  scan the ps command output for the amflush program
  extract the process id number (PID)
        (solaris has a 'pgrep amflush' command for these steps)
  use wait PID to let the script pause til amflush completes
  maybe put in a sleep for some extra time if needed
  issue your mt offline command (maybe an mt rewind first?)

You could run this in the background after the amflush returns
control to your terminal.  And if you do it as "nohup <your script> &"
you can log off.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)