Amanda-Users

Re: which Tape media /tape drive to use

2003-05-13 01:04:57
Subject: Re: which Tape media /tape drive to use
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 01:00:16 -0400
On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 10:38:12PM -0400, Mitch Collinsworth wrote:

> On Sun, 11 May 2003, Jon LaBadie wrote:
>
> > What failure mode were you experiencing -
> > Bad read/write?  Tape breakage?
>
> Never saw a tape break, just lots of failed reads, failed writes, and
> failed drives.
>
> > Myself, I've been using DDS3 tapes in a tapecycle of 18 or 24.
> > The 18 have been in use for over 2 years.  The last six added later.
> > I've yet to note a tape failure.
>
> Glad to hear it.  I saw similar longevity with DLT4000 on a drive that
> NEVER had a cleaning tape run through it.

After posting my questions above I recalled the comments of a speaker
from Fuji at a tape technology talk recently.  IIRC he recommended
using DDS3/4 tapes 50 times.

Then I thought, 2.5 yrs x 52 wks, 130 dumpcycles.  Each tape used
once every 3 dumpcycles.  That's 43 uses.  Maybe I better check
more regularly.  I don't amverify right now.  Is that a suitable
test for tape readability?  Of course that doubles the use rate :)

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)