Amanda-Users

Re: which Tape media /tape drive to use

2003-05-12 22:45:29
Subject: Re: which Tape media /tape drive to use
From: Mitch Collinsworth <mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu>
To: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett AT verizon DOT net>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:42:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 11 May 2003, Gene Heskett wrote:

> FWIW guys, I have a rack of DDS2 tapes, 28 in the pool, and in 2
> years of an amanda run every night, I've lost one tape.  So those
> have about 30 passes each on them now.  I'm  also using them in a
> Seagate/Compaq 4 tape changer, so they are being handled gently.
> Since they are the ultimate cheap tapes at about 2 bucks new on
> ebay, I cannot complain.

Not to be the bearer of bad news, but if you have 30 writes on
them, get ready to replace the whole batch someday soon.  And
if you have 2 years of nightly runs, get ready for your drive to
die soon, too.  Unless something has changed with DDS2 in the past
several years.  Who knows, maybe something has changed.  (Mine
was in a 6-tape changer.)

-Mitch