Amanda-Users

Re: "netusage" parameter broken?

2003-05-11 22:24:23
Subject: Re: "netusage" parameter broken?
From: Stephen Carville <carville AT cpl DOT net>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 19:22:26 -0700
On Sunday 11 May 2003 07:11 pm, Chris De Young wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In most people's expierience, does the "netusage" parameter in
> Amanda's configuration file work as advertised?  I'm trying to do
> backups over a slow link (DSL), and while I don't really care if
they
> take 20 hours, I care more if they render the connection largely
> unusable while they're running.
>
> I've set "netusage" to 6 for testing, which should be about 48k
(bits)
> out of about 270k available, but Amanda still blasts away as fast as
> the line will allow -- and the emailed report seems to confirm this,
> reporting "Avg Dump Rate (k/s)" of about 27.
>
> Am I missing some other parameter that needs to be setin conjunction
> with "netusage", or is it just broken, or...?

The netusage value only tell amanda to stop forking dumpers if usage
exceeds the limit.  It does not actually casue amanda to restrict
bandwidth usage.  That is what it is advertised as doing and, AFAIK,
it works correctly.

--
Stephen Carville http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt
You have the right to remain helpless. Should you give up this right,