Amanda-Users

Re: Backing up active filesystems

2003-05-10 19:02:21
Subject: Re: Backing up active filesystems
From: Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT linux DOT se>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Sun, 11 May 2003 00:59:37 +0200
lördagen den 10 maj 2003 kl 21.02 skrev Jon LaBadie:

Some OS's and filesystems have a facility generally known as "snapshots". Using this technique, the snapshot does not change, and is readonly, while the regular filesystem continues. A snapshot does not duplicate things,
it uses the same data unless they change, then the regular file system
uses the new data while the snapshot uses the old.  When the snapshot
is deleted, then the space for the old, changed data is recovered.

However, this have your cake and eat it too scenario is not generally
available and amanda has no builtin mechanism to use it.  Some amanda
users do customize their installations to use snapshots. I hope to with
my Solaris systems as that OS does provide the snapshot facility.

I'm probably going to be using FreeBSD for the server. I've read a little about this feature after pointing me at it, and this feature may just make me consider using FreeBSD 5.

Thank you for pointing me in this direction!

--
Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT e.kth DOT se>