Amanda-Users

Backing up active filesystems

2003-05-10 10:59:59
Subject: Backing up active filesystems
From: Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT linux DOT se>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:55:27 +0200
Hi.

I'm going to be deploying a backup system for a small school with a single file server, as well as possibly backing up some PC's remotely. I have not had any experience before in deploying one.

I'm going to be using DAT tapes in a DAT tape drive. For now, we can't afford a backup drive with a tape changer, but that's all right. We won't have more than 20 GB compressed to back up to start with anyway. (And when we do, we can just throw in another tape drive, which probably is a lot cheaper.)

My question is, though, how do you handle filesystems that are active?

Do you have to schedule downtime, say between 0000 and 0600 every morning? BSD dump does not do very well on active filesystems I've gisted from amanda documentation, but according to GNU tar's manual:

Full dumps should only be made when no other people or programs are modifying files in the filesystem. If files are modified while tar is making the backup, they may not be stored properly in the archive, in which case you won't be able to restore them if you have to. (Files not being modified are written with no trouble, and do not corrupt the entire archive.)

The same thing probably applies to incremental backups as well, no? Although according to your manuals, GNU tar ususally handles files being modified quite well.

So, do I have to write a script that pulls the system into single user mode during the backup and remounts the filesystems read-only, or is there a smart way you could perform backups anyway?

One theoretical way that I could think of spontaneously would be to use some kind of journalling filesystem and tell it not to flush changes to disk while backups are being performed to prevent clashes.

Another way is to run a RAID-1 array and "simulate" a faliure, where the first disk would be the one being read/written to by people, and the second disk would be used to back up from?

I guess the proper question is, how do people do this for High Availability servers in The Real World(TM)? Not that we'll be a HA server, just that there may be some lessons to be learnt.

Thanks in advance!

--
Per von Zweigbergk <pvz AT e.kth DOT se>