Amanda-Users

Re: Mixing versions of amanda

2003-05-02 14:08:00
Subject: Re: Mixing versions of amanda
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 2 May 2003 14:05:02 -0400
On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 12:56:53PM -0500, Alex Thurlow wrote:
> I'm currently using the rpm version of amanda-2.4.2p2-7 on my amanda server
> to back up a bunch of machines also with rpm installed amanda.  I hear
> again and again not to use the rpm and to compile it myself, so I've been
> considering it.  I was just wondering, would I run into problems if I
> compiled amanda on the server, but kept the 2.4.2 rpm version clients?  I
> ask because upgrading all of my backed up machines would be a huge task
> that I don't really have the time to do in one day.  Has anyone been in
> this situation?

One thing very obvious in the Survey I've conducted is that there are a LOT
of mixed version installations out there.

If your server is up to date, then an uptodate client can take advantage
of any new features.  If the server is not, then the client may not be
able to use some new features.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)