Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover - gpg

2003-03-31 16:19:46
Subject: Re: amrecover - gpg
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 14:27:24 -0500
On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 10:50:29AM -0800, philo vivero wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 06:24, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> > First, during encryption+compression the compression level is "9".
> >
> > dump_to_stdout () {
> >     # Encrypt it, compress it, and send it on it's way
> >     ${gpg_prog} --no-tty -q -e -z 9 -r ${gpg_as} -r ${gpg_as_self}
> > Second I question the wisdom of the order of encrypt then compress (and
> > uncompress/decrypt).
>
> There's a compression step before or after thie above statement in the
> script?!?! Take it out! The "-z 9" being passed to gnupg here means that
> gnupg itself compresses the data before encrypting it. (gnupg will still
> compress if you leave off "-z 9" just not at such a high compression
> rate).

No, the script contains no separate compression step during encryption.

But there is a separate decompression setp on recovery.
It is done before decryption.

Because of this I assume that the builtin gpg compression is done after
encryption.  Thus my comments suggesting a compression step be added
before pgp encryption and reversal of the pipeline on recovery.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)