Amanda-Users

Re: amrecover - gpg

2003-03-31 15:56:06
Subject: Re: amrecover - gpg
From: philo vivero <phiviv AT hacklab DOT net>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: 31 Mar 2003 10:50:29 -0800
On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 06:24, Jon LaBadie wrote:
> First, during encryption+compression the compression level is "9".
>
> dump_to_stdout () {
>     # Encrypt it, compress it, and send it on it's way
>     ${gpg_prog} --no-tty -q -e -z 9 -r ${gpg_as} -r ${gpg_as_self}
> Second I question the wisdom of the order of encrypt then compress (and
> uncompress/decrypt).

There's a compression step before or after thie above statement in the
script?!?! Take it out! The "-z 9" being passed to gnupg here means that
gnupg itself compresses the data before encrypting it. (gnupg will still
compress if you leave off "-z 9" just not at such a high compression
rate).

If you're compressing prior to this step, you're gaining nothing because
gnupg uses zlib to compress the data first.

If you're compressing subsequent to this step, you're gaining nothing
because encrypted data doesn't compress.

Moral of the story: don't compress at all if gnupg is in the pipeline of
massaging your data.

--
pv
If this helped you, http://svcs.affero.net/rm.php?r=philovivero