Amanda-Users

Re: 'not an Amanda tape' after FreeBSD upgrade

2003-03-31 09:34:51
Subject: Re: 'not an Amanda tape' after FreeBSD upgrade
From: Laas Toom <laas AT haldjas.folklore DOT ee>
To: Toomas Aas <toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:03:22 +0300 (EEST)

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003, Toomas Aas wrote:

> > From:          Scott Lambert <lambert AT lambertfam DOT org>
>
> > On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 11:15:52AM +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:
> > > Hello!
> > >
> > > My Amanda server is running 2.4.3b4. Three days ago I upgraded the
> > > operating system from FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p6 to 4.7-RELEASE-p9. This is
> > > really just some security patches to sendmail, libc and openssl. Since
> > > the upgrade Amanda thinks that all the backup tapes that were written
> > > before the upgrade are "not Amanda tapes".
> > >
> > > After I re-label the tape, Amanda agrees to write the backup to it and
> >
> > Could the compression bit have been toggled in you tape drive?
>
> This doesn't seem to be the case. I checked after loading the next tape
> today and the compression settings are what they've always been.
>
> Also, (say hello to mr. Murphy) the problem doesn't seem to exist at
> all with todays tape. After loading it I checked the Amanda label with
> dd as recommended by Gerhard den Hollander in another message and it
> looked OK. Amcheck was also happy with the tape. Maybe it was just some
> weird random problem with a couple of tapes.
> --
> Toomas Aas | toomas.aas AT raad.tartu DOT ee |
> http://www.raad.tartu.ee/~toomas/
> * War doesn't determine who's right. War determines who's left.

The weirdest thing - my problem disappeared too in few tapes. Maybe it
has something to do with the amcheck ran before amdump (but that does not
explain why the problem disappeared at all, even for tapes that did not
get amchecked before amdump).

So as far as i can see - running amcheck once eliminates the problem for
ever. :|

Laas Toom