Amanda-Users

Re: Cygwin client - advantages?

2003-03-24 05:48:34
Subject: Re: Cygwin client - advantages?
From: Christopher Odenbach <odenbach AT hni.uni-paderborn DOT de>
To: rwk AT americom DOT com, mitch AT ccmr.cornell DOT edu
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 10:07:04 +0100
Hi,

> > > 1. Client-side compression
> > > 2. Better chance of backing up ACLs (using special tar)
> > > 3. Works on machines that have all shares disabled (I have seen
> > > disabling shared recommended for some servers, especially SQL.)
> > > 4. More straightforward restore
> > > 5. Doesn't require SAMBA on AMANDA Server
> >
> > I haven't used it yet here, but I suspect another advantage not
> > listed above is:
> >
> > 6. Can do dumps at higher levels than 0 and 1.
> >
> > Now my question: What special tar does one use to get the ACLs?
>
> Thanks!
>
> What is an ACL?

ACL = Access Control List

With NTFS you can set detailed access control information, such as
"readable for user x, writeable for group y, read and writeable for
users a, b and c, executable for everyone but not for user x" and so on.

With samba you can not save these ACLs - restored files only get
default rights.

For more information about ACLs, please ask e.g. google.

Christopher

    Dipl.-Ing. Christopher Odenbach
    HNI Rechnerbetrieb
    odenbach AT uni-paderborn DOT de