Amanda-Users

RE: Cygwin client - advantages?

2003-03-23 11:12:09
Subject: RE: Cygwin client - advantages?
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 09:39:50 -0500
It has several advantages that make the installation overhead worthwhile:

1. Client-side compression
2. Better chance of backing up ACLs (using special tar)
3. Works on machines that have all shares disabled (I have seen disabling
shared recommended for some servers, especially SQL.)
4. More straightforward restore
5. Doesn't require SAMBA on AMANDA Server

Also, I haven't tested it, but I suspect sending a tar file using the AMANDA
protocol is faster than carrying on an extended SMB conversation.