Amanda-Users

Re: differential vs incremental backups

2003-03-18 18:27:59
Subject: Re: differential vs incremental backups
From: Dietmar Goldbeck <dietmar.goldbeck AT neteligent DOT de>
To: mbrkic AT farelogix DOT com
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 22:35:35 +0100
On Tue, Mar 18, 2003 at 12:14:14PM -0500, mbrkic AT farelogix DOT com wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a disk that is a cache for database backups
> and is a set of 30 directories with database exports
> of the last 30 days. I want to use Amanda to backup
> ONLY the latest written directory every night,
> without ever doing a full backup of the whole disk
> (it is too big
> to fit on one tape! :(  )
>
> In other words, is there a way to tell Amanda to
> always back-up only the changes from the last run
> regardless of dump levels. Equivalently, is there a way
> to fool Amanda into thinking that a full backup was
> done every night, after the level 1 completes
> successfully.
>
> Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Two ideas:

1) i would just put 30 directories into the disklist. Amanda will
balance them over the runs and just do fulls and incrementals fine.

2) If you really want only incremental backups, you can make a second
configuration with /dev/null as tape device. (Large capacity, but too
many read error on restores :-)) and run this configuration with
skip-incr and your normal with skip-full

  Ciao
    Dietmar

--
Dietmar Goldbeck              e-Mail: <dietmar.goldbeck AT neteligent DOT de>
Neteligent GmbH               Web:    http://www.neteligent.de/