Amanda-Users

Re: Xinetd not starting amanda

2003-03-13 00:37:46
Subject: Re: Xinetd not starting amanda
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: adam.smith AT sageautomation DOT com, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 23:02:15 -0500
On Wed March 12 2003 22:01, Adam Smith wrote:
> [...]
> the xinetd.conf man page, and it said the configs outlined below
> need to be in the /usr/local/etc/xinetd.conf file.  If they are
> specified in that file, xinetd can see them, because when any of
> the services are broken (ie an invalid option specified) xinetd
> spits out errors.
>
>My services are specified exactly as below, except the group is
> different and the option 'disable = no' exists for all three.
>
>xinetd appears to load without errors, and I can not see any
> amanda processes loaded (but this appears to be the nature of
> Xinetd.)  I tried to telnet to my amanda server on ports 10080,
> 10082 and 10083, but only ports 10082 and 10083 responded
> (amandaidx and amidxtape.)  Is this the correct behaviour?
> Amandad does not seem to work correctly (unless it's not supposed
> to load.)
>
>> service amanda
>> {
>>     protocol            = udp
>>     socket_type         = dgram
>>     wait                = yes
>>     user                = amanda
>>     group               = disk
>>     groups              = yes
>>     server              = /usr/local/libexec/amandad
>> }
>> service amandaidx
>> {
>>     protocol            = tcp
>>     socket_type         = stream
>>     wait                = no
>>     user                = amanda
>>     group               = disk
>>     groups              = yes
>>     server              = /usr/local/libexec/amindexd
>> }
>> service amidxtape
>> {
>>     protocol            = tcp
>>     socket_type         = stream
>>     wait                = no
>>     user                = amanda
>>     group               = disk
>>     groups              = yes
>>     server              = /usr/local/libexec/amidxtaped
>> }
>
>These are the results I now get from running amcheck:
>

>[amanda@testies /data/amanda]$ amcheck normal
>Amanda Tape Server Host Check
>-----------------------------
>Holding disk /data/amanda/holdingdisk: 44031578 KB disk space
> available, that's plenty amcheck-server: slot 1: date X
> label tape00 (first labelstr match) NOTE: skipping tape-writable
> test
>Tape tape00 label ok
>NOTE: info dir
> /data/amanda/normal/curinfo/testies.sageautomation.com: does not
> exist NOTE: info dir
> /data/amanda/normal/curinfo/megatron.sageautomation.com: does not
> exist Server check took 0.147 seconds
>
>Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
>--------------------------------
>ERROR: testies.sageautomation.com: [addr 192.168.8.50: hostname
> lookup failed] WARNING: megatron.sageautomation.com: selfcheck
> request timed out.  Host down? Client check: 2 hosts checked in

It appears you have everything covered with the possible exception
of the .amandahosts file.  If you configured with it, then the
allowable hosts must be listed in this file.  Its discussed in the
docs.  Also, make sure that the reverse lookup is correct using
"dig -x 192.168.8.50".  If that fails, you'll need to fix your
named records for that domain.

You should get something like this for that command:
-------------------
[root@coyote root]# dig -x 192.168.1.3

; <<>> DiG 9.2.1 <<>> -x 192.168.1.3
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1,
ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;3.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.      IN      PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
3.1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. 86400 IN      PTR     coyote.coyote.den.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa. 86400   IN      NS      gene.coyote.den.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
gene.coyote.den.        86400   IN      A       192.168.1.1

;; Query time: 18 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.1.1#53(192.168.1.1)
;; WHEN: Wed Mar 12 23:00:36 2003
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 108