Amanda-Users

Who uses amanda?

2003-03-12 08:26:37
Subject: Who uses amanda?
From: "Dr. David Kirkby" <davek AT medphys.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 11:59:45 +0000
Can anyone tell me if they use amanda and are a large commercial company
(> 250 employees), a hospital or a university and if so how much it's
used (whole institution, small department, single server etc). How many
Gb do you back up (don't answer that if you feel its confidential, or
you don't know).

I don't work in computer support but are aware there is a talk of buying
a Veritas backup package at academic discount (around 800 UK pounds or
$1300). I wanted to know if amanda would be a viable option. I guess
there are going to be issues bought up about support, stability, the
importance of backups etc. I'd like to know of big organistations using
the software and if they have compared it to Veritas.

I looked at using amanda once for my home computer (Sun Ultra 80, about
200 Gb of disk space over 4/5 drives, 40 Gb tape drive), but decided
that for such a small system, a couple of unix shell scripts run by cron
was all I needed, so never bothered using amanda. I know shell scripts
are currently used here but we intend expanding the disk space by quite
a lot.

So basically:
a) I know little about amanda
b) Have no intention of using it myself for my home computer, but wonder
if its a variable option in a university department (~100 staff).

Dr. David Kirkby PhD,
Senior Research Fellow,
Department of Medical Physics,
University College London,