Amanda-Users

Re: Failed dump details

2003-03-11 08:37:46
Subject: Re: Failed dump details
From: Paul Bijnens <paul.bijnens AT xplanation DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 12:50:20 +0100
Mozzi wrote:

I it correct that everything on this disk was backed up exept the two files mentioned?
They are mrtg temp files
du tells me the directory is 12Gb not 11 as stated here

The "du" command tries very hard to say how much diskspace
is used by all files, including all the overhead when e.g. storing
small files of 20 bytes, that could take 4096 byte on disk.
This all depends on what filesystem you use:
ufs vs. ext2/ext3 vs. reiserfs etc.

When doing a backup with tar, you have a fixed overhead
for each file (with filename, and inode information),
followed by the bytes of the file, without any overhead
for each file.
So it could very well be that you saved about 0.5 Gbyte
on the 12 Gbyte if you have many smaller files.

And yes, it seems that everything was backup up fine, except
those two files, that disappeared between the time gnutar
collected their name and the time it wanted to start the file.
It's up to you to decide if it is critical or not (mrtg temp
files are not critical of course).

Paul

FAILED AND STRANGE DUMP DETAILS:

/-- earth.lant /webspace lev 0 STRANGE
sendbackup: start [earth.mydomain.net:/webspace level 0]
sendbackup: info BACKUP=/bin/tar
sendbackup: info RECOVER_CMD=/bin/tar -f... -
sendbackup: info end
? gtar: ./support.mydomain.net/html/secure/stats/coreswitch.cfg_l_25775: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory ? gtar: ./support.mydomain.net/html/secure/stats/customerswitch.cfg_l_25773: Warning: Cannot stat: No such file or directory
| Total bytes written: 11514859520 (11GB, 1.7MB/s)
sendbackup: size 11244980
sendbackup: end
\--------

Tnx