Amanda-Users

Re: 'insert'-error

2003-03-04 04:54:34
Subject: Re: 'insert'-error
From: Sinan KALKAN <skalkan AT ceng.metu.edu DOT tr>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2003 09:47:50 +0200 (EET)
  Jay Lessert wrote:
  > [Posted and Cc'ed]
  >
  > On Mon, Mar 03, 2003 at 03:58:08PM +0200, Sinan KALKAN wrote:
  >
  >>    i have installed and configured amanda-2.4.3 for seagate-travan
  >>    tapes but i get the following looping error when i try to use
  >>    any of amanda commands. while getting these messages on the console,
  >>    'kernel: ide-tape: Reached idetape_chrdev_open' is recorded in
  >>    /var/log/messages.
  >

  >>    by the way, i can write to and read from the tapes by using cat.
  >>    so, the problem is not with the tape or the medium, but with amanda.
  >

  > Not clear yet.  Reading/writing your tapes with cat(1) is a little
  > unconventional.
  >
  > Try reading/writing your tapes with GNU tar/dd(1), and manipulating
  > them with mt(1) (status, fsf, rewind).  If that all works flawlessly,
  > then maybe you've got an Amanda problem.

  Thanks for the answer(s).

  I have been able to use dd successfully. So, the problem is with amanda?

  But, tapetype cannot get 'expected' properties. So, the problem seems
  to be something different.

  I am sending amanda.conf and I request your help.

  --------------070800010504010301040109

  ###  !!! WARNING !!!  !!! WARNING !!!  !!! WARNING !!!  !!! WARNING !!!  ###
  ###                                                                      ###
  ###  This file is not meant to be installed "as is", and in fact, it     ###
  ###  WILL NOT WORK!  You must go through it and make changes appropriate ###
  ###  to your own situation.  See the documentation in this file, in the  ###
  ###  "man amanda" man page, in the "docs" directory and at the Amanda    ###
  ###  web page (www.amanda.org).                                          ###
  ###                                                                      ###
  ###  !!! WARNING !!!  !!! WARNING !!!  !!! WARNING !!!  !!! WARNING !!!  ###

  #
  # amanda.conf - sample Amanda configuration file.  This started off life as
  #               the actual config file in use at CS.UMD.EDU.
  #
  # If your configuration is called, say, "csd", then this file normally goes
  # in /usr/local/etc/amanda/csd/amanda.conf.
  #

  org "ceng"            # your organization name for reports
  mailto "root"         # space separated list of operators at your site
  dumpuser "root"       # the user to run dumps under

  inparallel 10         # maximum dumpers that will run in parallel (max 63)
                        # this maximum can be increased at compile-time,
                        # modifying MAX_DUMPERS in server-src/driverio.h
  dumporder "sssS"      # specify the priority order of each dumper
                        #   s -> smallest size
                        #   S -> biggest size
                        #   t -> smallest time
                        #   T -> biggest time
                        #   b -> smallest bandwitdh
                        #   B -> biggest bandwitdh
                        # try "BTBTBTBTBTBT" if you are not holding
                        # disk constrained
  netusage  600 Kbps    # maximum net bandwidth for Amanda, in KB per sec

  dumpcycle 1 weeks     # the number of days in the normal dump cycle
  runspercycle 1         # the number of amdump runs in dumpcycle days
                        # (4 weeks * 5 amdump runs per week -- just weekdays)
  tapecycle 9 tapes     # the number of tapes in rotation
                        # 4 weeks (dumpcycle) times 5 tapes per week (just
                        # the weekdays) plus a few to handle errors that
                        # need amflush and so we do not overwrite the full
                        # backups performed at the beginning of the previous
                        # cycle
  ### ### ###
  # WARNING: don't use `inf' for tapecycle, it's broken!
  ### ### ###

  bumpsize 20 Mb                # minimum savings (threshold) to bump level 1
-> 2
  bumpdays 7            # minimum days at each level
  bumpmult 4            # threshold = bumpsize * bumpmult^(level-1)

  etimeout 400          # number of seconds per filesystem for estimates.
  #etimeout -600                # total number of seconds for estimates.
  # a positive number will be multiplied by the number of filesystems on
  # each host; a negative number will be taken as an absolute total time-out.
  # The default is 5 minutes per filesystem.

  #dtimeout 1800                # number of idle seconds before a dump is
aborted.

  #ctimeout 30          # maximum number of seconds that amcheck waits
                        # for each client host

  tapebufs 20
  # A positive integer telling taper how many 32k buffers to allocate.
  # WARNING! If this is set too high, taper will not be able to allocate
  # the memory and will die.  The default is 20 (640k).

  # Specify tape device and/or tape changer.  If you don't have a tape
  # changer, and you don't want to use more than one tape per run of
  # amdump, just comment out the definition of tpchanger.

  # Some tape changers require tapedev to be defined; others will use
  # their own tape device selection mechanism.  Some use a separate tape
  # changer device (changerdev), others will simply ignore this
  # parameter.  Some rely on a configuration file (changerfile) to
  # obtain more information about tape devices, number of slots, etc;
  # others just need to store some data in files, whose names will start
  # with changerfile.  For more information about individual tape
  # changers, read docs/TAPE.CHANGERS.

  # At most one changerfile entry must be defined; select the most
  # appropriate one for your configuration.  If you select man-changer,
  # keep the first one; if you decide not to use a tape changer, you may
  # comment them all out.

  runtapes 1            # number of tapes to be used in a single run of amdump
  tpchanger "chg-manual"        # the tape-changer glue script
  tapedev "/dev/nht0"   # the no-rewind tape device to be used
  rawtapedev "/dev/null"        # the raw device to be used (ftape only)
  changerfile "/usr/adm/amanda/csd/changer"
  #changerfile "/usr/adm/amanda/csd/changer-status"
  #changerfile "/usr/local/etc/amanda/csd/changer.conf"
  changerdev "/dev/null"

  tapetype SG-TAPESTOR          # what kind of tape it is (see tapetypes below)
  labelstr "^Set[0-9][0-9]*$"   # label constraint regex: all tapes must match

  # Specify holding disks.  These are used as a temporary staging area for
  # dumps before they are written to tape and are recommended for most sites.
  # The advantages include: tape drive is more likely to operate in streaming
  # mode (which reduces tape and drive wear, reduces total dump time); multiple
  # dumps can be done in parallel (which can dramatically reduce total dump
time.
  # The main disadvantage is that dumps on the holding disk need to be flushed
  # (with amflush) to tape after an operating system crash or a tape failure.
  # If no holding disks are specified then all dumps will be written directly
  # to tape.  If a dump is too big to fit on the holding disk than it will be
  # written directly to tape.  If more than one holding disk is specified then
  # they will all be used based on activity and available space.

  # holdingdisk hd1 {
      # comment "main holding disk"
      # directory "/dumps/amanda"       # where the holding disk is
      # use 290 Mb              # how much space can we use on it
                        # a non-positive value means:
                        #        use all space but that value
      # chunksize 1Gb   # size of chunk if you want big dump to be
                        # dumped on multiple files on holding disks
                        #  N Kb/Mb/Gb split images in chunks of size N
                        #             The maximum value should be
                        #             (MAX_FILE_SIZE - 1Mb)
                        #  0          same as INT_MAX bytes
      # }
  #holdingdisk hd2 {
  #    directory "/dumps2/amanda"
  #    use 1000 Mb
  #    }
  #holdingdisk hd3 {
  #    directory "/mnt/disk4"
  #    use 1000 Mb
  #    }

  # If amanda cannot find a tape on which to store backups, it will run
  # as many backups as it can to the holding disks.  In order to save
  # space for unattended backups, by default, amanda will only perform
  # incremental backups in this case, i.e., it will reserve 100% of the
  # holding disk space for the so-called degraded mode backups.
  # However, if you specify a different value for the `reserve'
  # parameter, amanda will not degrade backups if they will fit in the
  # non-reserved portion of the holding disk.

  # reserve 30 # percent
  # This means save at least 30% of the holding disk space for degraded
  # mode backups.

  autoflush yes #
  # if autoflush is set to yes, then amdump will schedule all dump on
  # holding disks to be flush to tape during the run.

  # The format for a ColumnSpec is a ',' seperated list of triples.
  # Each triple consists of
  #   + the name of the column (as in ColumnNameStrings)
  #   + prefix before the column
  #   + the width of the column, if set to -1 it will be recalculated
  #     to the maximum length of a line to print.
  # Example:
  #     "Disk=1:17,HostName=1:10,OutKB=1:7"
  # or
  #     "Disk=1:-1,HostName=1:10,OutKB=1:7"
  #
  # You need only specify those colums that should be changed from
  # the default. If nothing is specified in the configfile, the
  # above compiled in values will be in effect, resulting in an
  # output as it was all the time.
  # The names of the colums are:
  # HostName, Disk, Level, OrigKB, OutKB, Compress, DumpTime, DumpRate,
  # TapeTime and TapeRate.
  #                                                     ElB, 1999-02-24.
  # columnspec "Disk=1:18,HostName=0:10,OutKB=1:7"

  # Amanda needs a few Mb of diskspace for the log and debug files,
  # as well as a database.  This stuff can grow large, so the conf directory
  # isn't usually appropriate.  Some sites use /usr/local/var and some /usr/adm.
  # Create an amanda directory under there.  You need a separate infofile and
  # logdir for each configuration, so create subdirectories for each conf and
  # put the files there.  Specify the locations below.

  # Note that, although the keyword below is infofile, it is only so for
  # historic reasons, since now it is supposed to be a directory (unless
  # you have selected some database format other than the `text' default)
  infofile "/usr/adm/amanda/csd/curinfo"        # database DIRECTORY
  logdir   "/usr/adm/amanda/csd"                # log directory
  indexdir "/usr/adm/amanda/csd/index"  # index directory
  tapelist "/usr/local/etc/amanda/csd/tapelist" # list of used tapes
  # tapelist is stored, by default, in the directory that contains amanda.conf

  # tapetypes

  # Define the type of tape you use here, and use it in "tapetype"
  # above.  Some typical types of tapes are included here.  The tapetype
  # tells amanda how many MB will fit on the tape, how big the filemarks
  # are, and how fast the tape device is.

  # A filemark is the amount of wasted space every time a tape section
  # ends.  If you run `make tapetype' in tape-src, you'll get a program
  # that generates tapetype entries, but it is slow as hell, use it only
  # if you really must and, if you do, make sure you post the data to
  # the amanda mailing list, so that others can use what you found out
  # by searching the archives.

  # For completeness Amanda should calculate the inter-record gaps too,
  # but it doesn't.  For EXABYTE and DAT tapes this is ok.  Anyone using
  # 9 tracks for amanda and need IRG calculations?  Drop me a note if
  # so.

  # If you want amanda to print postscript paper tape labels
  # add a line after the comment in the tapetype of the form
  #    lbl-templ "/path/to/postscript/template/label.ps"

  # if you want the label to go to a printer other than the default
  # for your system, you can also add a line above for a different
  # printer. (i usually add that line after the dumpuser specification)

  # dumpuser "operator"     # the user to run dumps under
  # printer "mypostscript"  # printer to print paper label on

  # here is an example of my definition for an EXB-8500

  # define tapetype EXB-8500 {
  # ...
  #     lbl-templ "/usr/local/amanda/config/lbl.exabyte.ps"
  # }

  define tapetype QIC-60 {
      comment "Archive Viper"
      length 60 mbytes
      filemark 100 kbytes               # don't know a better value
      speed 100 kbytes          # dito
  }

  define tapetype DEC-DLT2000 {
      comment "DEC Differential Digital Linear Tape 2000"
      length 15000 mbytes
      filemark 8 kbytes
      speed 1250 kbytes
  }

  # goluboff AT butch.Colorado DOT EDU
  # in amanda-users (Thu Dec 26 01:55:38 MEZ 1996)
  define tapetype DLT {
      comment "DLT tape drives"
      length 20000 mbytes               # 20 Gig tapes
      filemark 2000 kbytes      # I don't know what this means
      speed 1536 kbytes         # 1.5 Mb/s
  }

  define tapetype SURESTORE-1200E {
      comment "HP AutoLoader"
      length 3900 mbytes
      filemark 100 kbytes
      speed 500 kbytes
  }

  define tapetype EXB-8500 {
      comment "Exabyte EXB-8500 drive on decent machine"
      length 4200 mbytes
      filemark 48 kbytes
      speed 474 kbytes
  }

  define tapetype EXB-8200 {
      comment "Exabyte EXB-8200 drive on decent machine"
      length 2200 mbytes
      filemark 2130 kbytes
      speed 240 kbytes
  }

  define tapetype HP-DAT {
      comment "DAT tape drives"
      # data provided by Rob Browning <rlb AT cs.utexas DOT edu>
      length 1930 mbytes
      filemark 111 kbytes
      speed 468 kbytes
  }

  define tapetype DAT {
      comment "DAT tape drives"
      length 1000 mbytes                # these numbers are not accurate
      filemark 100 kbytes               # but you get the idea
      speed 100 kbytes
  }

  define tapetype MIMSY-MEGATAPE {
      comment "Megatape (Exabyte based) drive through Emulex on Vax 8600"
      length 2200 mbytes
      filemark 2130 kbytes
      speed 170 kbytes          # limited by the Emulex bus interface, ugh
  }

  define tapetype SG-TAPESTOR {
      comment "Seagate TAPESTOR"
      length 10000 mbytes
      filemark 100 kbytes
      speed 2000 kbytes
  }

  define tapetype SG2 {
      comment "just produced by tapetype program"
      length 3734 mbytes
      filemark 178144 kbytes
      speed 145 kps
  }

  # dumptypes
  #
  # These are referred to by the disklist file.  The dumptype specifies
  # certain parameters for dumping including:
  #   auth      - authentication scheme to use between server and client.
  #               Valid values are "bsd" and "krb4".  Default: [auth bsd]
  #   comment   - just a comment string
  #   comprate  - set default compression rate.  Should be followed by one or
  #               two numbers, optionally separated by a comma.  The 1st is
  #               the full compression rate; the 2nd is the incremental rate.
  #               If the second is omitted, it is assumed equal to the first.
  #               The numbers represent the amount of the original file the
  #               compressed file is expected to take up.
  #               Default: [comprate 0.50, 0.50]
  #   compress  - specify compression of the backed up data.  Valid values are:
  #               "none"        - don't compress the dump output.
  #               "client best" - compress on the client using the best (and
  #                               probably slowest) algorithm.
  #               "client fast" - compress on the client using fast algorithm.
  #               "server best" - compress on the tape host using the best (and
  #                               probably slowest) algorithm.
  #               "server fast" - compress on the tape host using a fast
  #                               algorithm.  This may be useful when a fast
  #                               tape host is backing up slow clients.
  #               Default: [compress client fast]
  #   dumpcycle - set the number of days in the dump cycle, ie, set how often a
  #               full dump should be performed.  Default: from DUMPCYCLE above
  #   exclude   - specify files and directories to be excluded from the dump.
  #               Useful with gnutar only; silently ignored by dump and samba.
  #               Valid values are:
  #               "pattern"       - a shell glob pattern defining which files
  #                                 to exclude.
  #                                 gnutar gets --exclude="pattern"
  #               list "filename" - a file (on the client!) containing patterns
  #                                 re's (1 per line) defining which files to
  #                                 exclude.
  #                                 gnutar gets --exclude-from="filename"
  #               Note that the `full pathname' of a file within its
  #               filesystem starts with `./', because of the way amanda runs
  #               gnutar: `tar -C $mountpoint -cf - --lots-of-options .' (note
  #               the final dot!)  Thus, if you're backing up `/usr' with a
  #               diskfile entry like ``host /usr gnutar-root', but you don't
  #               want to backup /usr/tmp, your exclude list should contain
  #               the pattern `./tmp', as this is relative to the `/usr' above.
  #               Please refer to the man-page of gnutar for more information.
  #               If a relative pathname is specified as the exclude list,
  #               it is searched from within the directory that is
  #               going to be backed up.
  #               Default: include all files
  #   holdingdisk       - should the holding disk be used for this dump.
Useful for
  #               dumping the holding disk itself.  Default: [holdingdisk yes]
  #   ignore    - do not back this filesystem up.  Useful for sharing a single
  #               disklist in several configurations.
  #   index     - keep an index of the files backed up.  Default: [index no]
  #   kencrypt  - encrypt the data stream between the client and server.
  #               Default: [kencrypt no]
  #   maxdumps  - max number of concurrent dumps to run on the client.
  #               Default: [maxdumps 1]
  #   priority  - priority level of the dump.  Valid levels are "low", "medium"
  #               or "high".  These are really only used when Amanda has no
  #               tape to write to because of some error.  In that "degraded
  #               mode", as many incrementals as will fit on the holding disk
  #               are done, higher priority first, to insure the important
  #               disks are at least dumped.  Default: [priority medium]
  #   program   - specify the dump system to use.  Valid values are "DUMP" and
  #               "GNUTAR".  Default: [program "DUMP"].
  #   record    - record the dump in /etc/dumpdates.  Default: [record yes]
  #   skip-full - skip the disk when a level 0 is due, to allow full backups
  #               outside Amanda, eg when the machine is in single-user mode.
  #   skip-incr - skip the disk when the level 0 is NOT due.  This is used in
  #               archive configurations, where only full dumps are done and
  #               the tapes saved.
  #   starttime - delay the start of the dump?  Default: no delay
  #   strategy  - set the dump strategy.  Valid strategies are currently:
  #               "standard" - the standard one.
  #               "nofull"   - do level 1 dumps every time.  This can be used,
  #                            for example, for small root filesystems that
  #                            only change slightly relative to a site-wide
  #                            prototype.  Amanda then backs up just the
  #                            changes.
  #               "noinc"    - do level 0 dumps every time.
  #                            Unfortunately, this is not currently
  #                            implemented.  Use `dumpcycle 0'
  #                            instead.
  #               "skip"     - skip all dumps.  Useful for sharing a single
  #                            disklist in several configurations.
  #               "incronly" - do only incremental dumps. This is similar
  #                              to strategy 'nofull', but will increase
  #                              the dump level as usual. Full dumps will
  #                              only be performed when an 'amadmin force'
  #                              has been issued
  #               Default: [strategy standard]
  #
  # Note that you may specify previously defined dumptypes as a shorthand way
  # of defining parameters.

  define dumptype global {
      comment "Global definitions"
      auth bsd
      compress client fast
      exclude list "/usr/local/etc/amanda/csd/ex_files"
      holdingdisk no
      index yes
      program "GNUTAR"
      # This is quite useful for setting global parameters, so you don't have
      # to type them everywhere.  All dumptype definitions in this sample file
      # do include these definitions, either directly or indirectly.
      # There's nothing special about the name `global'; if you create any
      # dumptype that does not contain the word `global' or the name of any
      # other dumptype that contains it, these definitions won't apply.
      # Note that these definitions may be overridden in other
      # dumptypes, if the redefinitions appear *after* the `global'
      # dumptype name.
      # You may want to use this for globally enabling or disabling
      # indexing, recording, etc.  Some examples:
      # index yes
      # record no
  }

  define dumptype always-full {
      global
      comment "Full dump of this filesystem always"
      compress none
      priority high
      dumpcycle 0
  }

  define dumptype incremental-full {
      global
      comment "incremental usual dumps"
      priority high
  }

  # define dumptype root-tar {
      # global
      # program "GNUTAR"
      # comment "root partitions dumped with tar"
      # compress none
      # exclude list "/usr/local/lib/amanda/exclude.gtar"
      # priority low
  # }

  # define dumptype user-tar {
      # root-tar
      # comment "user partitions dumped with tar"
      # priority medium
  # }

  # define dumptype high-tar {
      # root-tar
      # comment "partitions dumped with tar"
      # priority high
  # }

  # define dumptype comp-root-tar {
      # root-tar
      # comment "Root partitions with compression"
      # compress client fast
  # }

  # define dumptype comp-user-tar {
      # user-tar
      # compress client fast
  # }

  # define dumptype holding-disk {
      # global
      # comment "The master-host holding disk itself"
      # holdingdisk no # do not use the holding disk
      # priority medium
  # }

  #define dumptype comp-user {
      #global
      #comment "Non-root partitions on reasonably fast machines"
      #compress client fast
      #priority medium
  #}

  #define dumptype nocomp-user {
      #comp-user
      #comment "Non-root partitions on slow machines"
      #compress none
  #}
  #
  #define dumptype comp-root {
      #global
      #comment "Root partitions with compression"
      #compress client fast
      #priority low
  #}
  #
  #define dumptype nocomp-root {
      #comp-root
      #comment "Root partitions without compression"
      #compress none
  #}
  #
  #define dumptype comp-high {
      #global
      #comment "very important partitions on fast machines"
      #compress client best
      #priority high
  #}

  # define dumptype nocomp-high {
      # comp-high
      # comment "very important partitions on slow machines"
      # compress none
  # }
  #
  # define dumptype nocomp-test {
      # global
      # comment "test dump without compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
      # compress none
      # record no
      # priority medium
  # }

  # define dumptype comp-test {
      # nocomp-test
      # comment "test dump with compression, no /etc/dumpdates recording"
      # compress client fast
  # }

  # network interfaces
  #
  # These are referred to by the disklist file.  They define the attributes
  # of the network interface that the remote machine is accessed through.
  # Notes: - netusage above defines the attributes that are used when the
  #          disklist entry doesn't specify otherwise.
  #        - the values below are only samples.
  #        - specifying an interface does not force the traffic to pass
  #          through that interface.  Your OS routing tables do that.  This
  #          is just a mechanism to stop Amanda trashing your network.
  # Attributes are:
  #     use             - bandwidth above which amanda won't start
  #                       backups using this interface.  Note that if
  #                       a single backup will take more than that,
  #                       amanda won't try to make it run slower!

  define interface local {
      comment "a local disk"
      use 1000 kbps
  }

  define interface eth1 {
      comment "10 Mbps ethernet"
      use 400 kbps
  }

  # You may include other amanda configuration files, so you can share
  # dumptypes, tapetypes and interface definitions among several
  # configurations.

  #includefile "/usr/local/amanda.conf.main"

 --sMQScVryfjxk8d8rPxi2sL34TLHT-AqQnAZJ2Og--