Amanda-Users

Re: Recycling a Tape

2003-01-27 18:32:30
Subject: Re: Recycling a Tape
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Joshua Baker-LePain <jlb17 AT duke DOT edu>, Michael Kopach <kopam AT augustana.ab DOT ca>
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2003 17:50:48 -0500
On Monday 27 January 2003 16:42, Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>On Mon, 27 Jan 2003 at 1:53pm, Michael Kopach wrote
>
>> I have the odd tape that fills up from AMANDA. Since I have a
>> limited number of tapes on hand, how does one safely clean out
>> the contents of that tape and reuse it under AMANDA?
>
>Err, I'm not quite sure what any of this means.  By default,
> amanda cycles through all the tapes in your tapecycle, writing
> over the contents on each use.

One normally would want to do that, but would run as the user
amanda, an amflush /config/ session, letting it flush the
remainders in the holding disk to the next tape in the sequence.

I'm not sure how amanda would go about compensating for the loss of
a tape in the runspercycle department though as it might cause
subsequent runs to attempt to play catchup and also overflow a
tape.

However, what it will actually do is a question for John R. Jackson
or Jean-Louis.

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M