Amanda-Users

Tape error problems

2003-01-22 09:46:26
Subject: Tape error problems
From: "Rebecca Pakish Crum" <rebecca AT unterlaw DOT com>
To: "Amanda Users (E-mail)" <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 08:17:55 -0600
I've been successfully using amanda for over a year now and all of a sudden
it's all screwed up!
I'm using amanda 2.4.2p2 on a RH7.2 box.
amcheck is happy when it runs daily at 3 pm before I leave:
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /dumps/amanda: 13770716 KB disk space available, that's plenty
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Tape isymmdaily09 label ok
Server check took 10.881 seconds

Amanda Backup Client Hosts Check
--------------------------------
Client check: 3 hosts checked in 0.273 seconds, 0 problems found

(brought to you by Amanda 2.4.2p2)

But that same night when my cron job tried to kick off the backup:
*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [rewinding tape: No medium found].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: isymmdaily09.

And yes, the tape is in the drive. It's still in there now, hasn't been
touched. This has happened to me almost every day for the last week. So it's
not just this tape. I've cleaned the drive, turned the drive off, bounced the
box...all of the little things.

Thoughts?

Rebecca A. Crum
Systems Administrator