Amanda-Users

taper hangs in state D

2003-01-20 14:28:25
Subject: taper hangs in state D
From: Steven Saner <ssaner AT hubris DOT net>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2003 13:02:32 -0600
I am using:

Amanda 2.4.3
Slackware Linux 8.0 (2.2.20) kernel
External Sony TSL9000 SCSI DAT drive with changer
DDS-2 tapes

The first couple times I ran amdump the whole process worked
fine. Now, after about a dozen filesystems have been written from the
holding disk to tape, the taper process locks up. The tape is under
half full at this point. At least today, the next filesystem to be
written to tape is fairly large, spaning 3 1GB chunks on the holding
disk.

A look at the process table shows two taper processes, one of which is
in state D, which, I think means that it is waiting for the tape drive
to become available. It is almost as if the previous taper process did
not exit properly and release the drive.

Can anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix it?

Thanks

Steven Saner <ssaner AT hubris DOT net>                      Voice:
316-858-3000
Director of Network Operations                          Fax:  316-858-3001
Hubris Communications                              http://www.hubris.net