Amanda-Users

Re: Mac OS X 10.2 client support?

2003-01-18 08:22:32
Subject: Re: Mac OS X 10.2 client support?
From: Steven Karel <karelsf AT brandeis DOT edu>
To: John Martinez <rolnif AT mac DOT com>
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 07:36:32 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, John Martinez wrote:

> Does Amanda support OS X clients? I plan on installing Amanda on a Solaris
> server.
>
> In particular, I'd like to know if there is support for multi-forked files in
> HFS+ filesystems.

You need to use a local backup utility that's resource fork aware.
There's a program 'hfstar' that is a port of GNU tar that's aware of
resource forks. I've used it with amanda and it's superficially ok,
although I get some error messages from hfstar while running AMANDA dumps
that I have not delved to the bottom of yet. I put my working notes at:

http://web.brandeis.edu/pages/view/Bio/AmandaMacOSXCompileNotes

I will try to update them later this weekend after poking around the log
files to dig out the errors I've been getting.