Amanda-Users

Re: Strange Amandad problem using xinetd and RedHat 8.0

2003-01-16 19:45:21
Subject: Re: Strange Amandad problem using xinetd and RedHat 8.0
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: "Michael Lang" <Michael.Lang AT chester DOT at>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 19:05:40 -0500
On Thursday 16 January 2003 13:17, Michael Lang wrote:
>Hi to all,
>
>i encounter a strange problem with amandad on a client using
> RedHat 8.0 kernel 2.4.20 xinet 2.3.7-5.
>
>I´ve setup the xinetd config as described in the INSTALL it also
> works 2 times fine but as i try a third amcheck BackupSet the
> requested Host times out and there´s  one amandad zombie hanging
> around, which can only
>
>be removed by restarting xinetd.
>
>using the default kernel 2.4.18-14 it works fine without any
> problem.

Thats odd, Michael.  I've had no such problems here on a rh8.0
system, currently up to kernel 2.4.21-pre3, with the same 2.3.7-5
xinetd.

Couple of questions.  Is the .amandhosts file up to date, and perms
set for 0600?  And are you using individual files for amanda in
xinetd.d, or one merged one?  I don't think it makes any diff, I
use a merged all in one file for that here, listing all 3 services
in one file.

Is there a timeout, where the zombie disappears eventually?

>any hint would be nice ... thanks

Thats about my best shot.  I'm not an expert, I just play one as a
almost-retired tv engineer. :)

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M