Amanda-Users

Re: Want more aggressive tape use

2002-11-21 14:34:34
Subject: Re: Want more aggressive tape use
From: Orion Poplawski <orion AT colorado-research DOT com>
To: Chris_Marble AT hmc DOT edu
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 11:48:56 -0700

Chris Marble wrote:

Orion Poplawski wrote:

A lot of file systems were not backed up that could have been because the planner rejected them. I'd like to be able to operate in a mode where it kept dumping until the tape was full, but then threw away whatever was left (i.e. - no amflush -> inefficient use of another tape).

If you crank down dumpcycle in amanda.conf the program will do its best
to fit more on each tape.  If you crank it down too far you'll get daily
complaints about it having to delay backups but it'll still do what it can.
That's what I've done to maximize tape usage in my setup:
single 50Gb AIT tape/day, 300Gb to back up.  Tell it to manage full backups
of everything over 4 days of backups.

That's not really what I'm after. I'd like to have amanda to backup as little as possible (i.e. high level backups, few level 0's -> long dumpcycle), but I want it to stuff tapes until they are full. However, currently when you run out of tape you are left with dumps in the holding area that need to get flushed. I don't want to flush them, but if you don't amanda believes that those backups have been completed and figures it in to planning the next run.

- Orion