Amanda-Users

Re: Newbie question; Write Protected? just Permission denied?

2002-11-21 12:07:59
Subject: Re: Newbie question; Write Protected? just Permission denied?
From: "Lewis Getschel" <lgetsche AT mail DOT com>
To: jlb17 AT duke DOT edu, lgetsche AT mail DOT com
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 09:21:00 -0700
> On Mon, 18 Nov 2002 at 5:42pm, Lewis Getschel wrote
>
> > I tried the erase as the amanda user, and I got permission denied. I
> > suspect that amlabel is simply saying write-protected when in fact it is
> > just permission denied.
>
> Yep.
>
> > As a newbie that has looked in the FOM, and read the mailing list for
> > almost a week, I'm confused as to WHAT group I should compile under.
> > Some people say operator, others disk, others xxx (take your pick
> > <grin>). Is the group you use more dependant on what distro you use
> > (hence the permission issue?) Is the group my problem?
>
> You can assign the user/group of you run amanda as in any way which will
> work for you.  On Red Hat Linux, I do amanda:disk (as you did).  Make sure
> that /dev/nst0 has the proper ownership and permissions -- for me
> /dev/nst0 is owned by root:disk with a mode of 660.

Thanks so much.

Is was a permission issue. /dev/nst0 was set to 640 (as are hd* and st*). After
changing to 660, the amanda user can now write to the tape drive.

Now I just need to figure out why my scsi pcmcia card and the ethernet pcmcia
card 'step on each other' so the system only works with ONE of them plugged in,
not both. It must be some kind of conflict, but nothing seems obvious yet.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup