Amanda-Users

Newbie question; Write Protected? just Permission denied?

2002-11-18 20:16:46
Subject: Newbie question; Write Protected? just Permission denied?
From: "Lewis Getschel" <lgetsche AT mail DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 17:42:18 -0700
Hello all-
   I'm a a newibie, and brand new to Amanda. I'm running 2.2.19 kernal from
Slackware (about v. 8.0, that was easy to load on this laptop <smile>). I
downloaded the latest amanda 2.4.3
I built the files "--with-user=amanda --with-group=disk" while logged in as
root. and I created the amanda user with primary group of disk.

When I run amlabel It responds:

amlabel housenet HousenetSet00

labeling tape in slot 1 (dev/nst0):
rewinding, reading label, reading label: Input/output error
rewinding, writing label HousenetSet00
amlabel: writing label: tape is write-protected

Now, as root was able to mt -f /dev/tape erase
so I know the tape is NOT write protected!

I tried the erase as the amanda user, and I got permission denied. I suspect
that amlabel is simply saying write-protected when in fact it is just
permission denied.

As a newbie that has looked in the FOM, and read the mailing list for  almost a
week, I'm confused as to WHAT group I should compile under. Some people say
operator, others disk, others xxx (take your pick <grin>). Is the group you use
more dependant on what distro you use (hence the permission issue?) Is the
group my problem?

Some guidance would be appreciated.
Thanks

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup