Amanda-Users

Re: wierd amandad timeout error

2002-11-19 19:06:12
Subject: Re: wierd amandad timeout error
From: Deb Baddorf <baddorf AT fnal DOT gov>
To: valen AT tuatha DOT org, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:25:52 -0600
At 12:53 PM 11/19/2002 +0000, you wrote:
 "amcheck -c" on the server says that all my clients are fine. However,
when I run amdump, one of the clients, which worked fine previously, is
now failing.

 The (rather long) debug file in /tmp/amanda seems to indicate that it was
working fine, then timed out. Any idea why this could be ? It's always
just this host.

Are you *sure*  there aren't any firewalls in between?
If the data size on this client got large enough,  it could have bumped
over to the realm of problem.
My problem went like this:

server contacts client:   sent me estimate
client:   thinks
client:  replies inside of link created & owned by server - fine.

but if client thinks TOOOO long,  that link dies.
 Then client has to create a new link for the reply  (all done by the
lower levels of software) .... and the firewall may not ALLOW client
to initiate a link.

So that's where the problem arises -- when the reply takes longer
than ..... some value.

You might try splitting the client's tar files into 2 pieces -- see if
that makes it work OK again.   That would strongly suggest this kind
of situtation!
Deb Baddorf

Deb Baddorf         baddorf AT fnal DOT gov              840-2289
"You can't help getting older, but you don't have to get old."
- George Burns                                          <IXOYE><