Amanda-Users

Re: backing up to a hard drive

2002-11-16 10:37:56
Subject: Re: backing up to a hard drive
From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
To: jeff covey <jeff.covey AT pobox DOT com>
Date: Sat, 16 Nov 2002 10:08:11 -0500
jeff covey wrote:

i've been over the documentation, through the faq-o-matic, etc., and i
can't find the answer to what i think is a simple question:  how can i
use amanda to back up to space on the server's hard drive?  all the
documentation is about tapes, tapes, tapes.  i have a set of windows
machines that i just want to back up over samba to /backups on hda.
how do i do that?

thanks,

I feel your pain...I just recently went through this...I think the main reason that there isn't a lot of documentation is because most of getting amanda backing up with samba is setting up samba. Once you have samba set up, put an amanda user on the windows machine with the necessary permissions. Verify that the user can indeed see the system (smbclient -U amanda%password -L smbhost). Once your sure of that, follow the instructions in the samba readme in $SRC_DIR/docs/SAMBA.

The biggest problem I ran into was configuring samba properly and adding the machine to the proper domains but if you don't use domains, it may be easier to set up.

=G=