Amanda-Users

RE: ERROR: /devb/nst1: no tape online

2002-11-12 13:22:03
Subject: RE: ERROR: /devb/nst1: no tape online
From: Paul Miller <paul AT fxtech DOT com>
To: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 11:43:15 -0600

There's nothing in your `mt status` that says what tape drive it's talking
to. My guess is that your SCSI devices got renumbered somehow. I think the
nst* devices are issued in the order they're found, and if the device that
was nst0 is gone, nst1 is now nst0.

Try `mt -f /dev/nst0 status` and `mt -f /dev/nst1 status` and see which one
looks like your tape drive.

mt does seem to be "talking" to the tape drive though - "mt offline" ejects the tape, "mt seek" makes the light blink, "mt erase" makes the light blink for a LONG time, etc.

Could there still be an issue with tape numbering, even with this behavior?

Thanks a lot!