Amanda-Users

Re: using two tape units

2002-11-11 02:17:50
Subject: Re: using two tape units
From: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
To: Joseph Sirucka <Joseph.Sirucka AT team.telstra DOT com>, amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 00:42:02 -0600
--On Monday, November 11, 2002 16:17:20 +1100 Joseph Sirucka <Joseph.Sirucka AT
team.telstra DOT com> wrote:

> Hi All
>
> I have two dds3 tape changer units and would like to know if amanda can
> use both of these units simultaneously. Can I do some sort of raid
> backup across two tapes in two different machines of just use two tape
> units at once.

I think the latest (2.4.3) release lets you stripe or mirror across
multiple tape drives one one machine (I remember reading it was a
feature of the betas, don't know for sure if it stayed in the final
release).  I don't think taper will write two different dumps to two
drives simultaneously.
  Maybe someone who knows for sure will jump in and clarify.
  If the changers are on two separate machines then you can run an
Amanda server on each with their own config and have each one backup
its own set of clients.  Make sure each client is only being backed
up by one server or the client process might get confused as to
who it is answering about what.

Frank

--
Frank Smith                                                fsmith AT hoovers
DOT com