Amanda-Users

Re: index question

2002-11-05 18:54:01
Subject: Re: index question
From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org, amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org
Date: Tue, 05 Nov 2002 18:35:08 -0500
Jean-Louis Martineau wrote:

<snip>

Joshua is right.
I comment the disklist entry when I remove a disk.
I uncomment it if I need to restore it.

But I don't like that.

A solution could be to add a new option in a dumptype active [yes|no]
    alive  [yes|no]
    backup [yes|no]
    dobackup [yes|no]

That say if amanda must do backup of this disk, but the disk will
be known to all other amanda command.

You will need to change the dumptype of a disk when it is removed.

Another solution could be to add it directly in the disklist file, as
a prefix before the hostname.

DEAD host.dead.com /disk/dead ....

What do you think should be the best solution?

Jean-Louis
I personally think editting just one file would be simpler hence just editting the disklist entry since the dumptypes are generally used by multiple disks. Even better would be some logic that amanda is able to associate date with a tape number and be intelligent enough to decide for itself if the disk should be included in all the necessary commands regardless of whether it lives in the disklist or not...this should be fairly easy to do with the indexing (he says without even looking).

Of course after further thought, you would just have to assign a different definition to the dumptype list and assign that to the dead disk...I'd say this would come down to the developers deciding which would be easier to implement. I'd like it either way...

=G=