Amanda-Users

Re: Performance degrading over time?

2002-11-04 10:42:11
Subject: Re: Performance degrading over time?
From: "Patrick M. Hausen" <hausen AT punkt DOT de>
To: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 16:26:26 +0100 (CET)
Hi!

> > > nothing goes from holding disk to tape unless the dump to holding disk
> > > has finished.  Then it goes like cat'ting or dd'ing to tape.  Small
> > > likelyhood of too slow for tape.
> >
> > Aggreed - cat/dd >/dev/tape will surely be fast enough.
> > But I need a holding disk at least as large as my largest FS to dump?
> > So if I have one 170 GB RAID I need one 170 GB holding disk?
>
> Repeating,
>
> > > nothing goes from holding disk to tape unless the dump to holding disk
> > > has finished.

OK. Understood - finally.

> > The customer won't like that ;-)
>
> Doesn't have to be high performance drives.
> Cheap IDE drives are way fast enough.

How do you fit cheap IDE drives into a Sun Enterprise 3500?

Configuration of the machine:

1 internal 9 GB (system) drive
1 external Sun Storedge A1000 RAID enclosure - 170 GB net storage
1 external LTO drive

Oooops :-)))

Well, you can't argue against the facts - I'll suggest either
getting rid of the small "trace" files on a nightly basis
or disabling that "feature" altogether - or adding 5 internal
36 GB drives in a RAID 0 configuration as a holding disk.

Hmmm ... possibly some cheap PC style external SCSI-to-IDE-RAID
will do the trick just as well. Sun won't officially support it,
but they don't support the HP LTO, either.

Thanks to all, end of thread (hopefully)

Patrick M. Hausen
Technical Director
--
punkt.de GmbH         Internet - Dienstleistungen - Beratung
Scheffelstr. 17 a     Tel. 0721 9109 -0 Fax: -100