Amanda-Users

Re: Performance degrading over time?

2002-11-04 10:41:32
Subject: Re: Performance degrading over time?
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 15:19:45 +0000
On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 03:55:13PM +0100, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

> But I need a holding disk at least as large as my largest FS to dump?
> So if I have one 170 GB RAID I need one 170 GB holding disk?

No - you need a holding disk preferrably as big as your TWO largest disklist
entries, which may be <= your largest FS. From "Using Amanda"

] Ideally, there should be enough holding disk space for the two largest
] backup images simultaneously, so one image can be coming into the holding
] disk while the other is being written to tape. If that is not practical, any
] amount that holds at least a few of the smaller images helps.

> The customer won't like that ;-)

Customers rarely like anything which costs them money :-)

> Or is this what the chunksize parameter is for - taper will start when
> the first chunk is completely written to the holding disk?

No - chunksize merely specifies how big are the chunks the backup is split
into on disk. Really only needed on older OS which have a relatively small
limit (often 2GB) to the size of a single file.

> In this case I'm sure a holding disk will speed up things quite a
> bit even in my "pathological" case of only one big FS.

No - a holding disk will only help you at all if it's at least as big as
your two smallest disklist entries.

Kindest regards,

Niall  O Broin