Amanda-Users

Re: EXB-8700, 160m XL tapes, and tapetype

2002-09-30 23:29:08
Subject: Re: EXB-8700, 160m XL tapes, and tapetype
From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
To: tanner AT real-time DOT com
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 23:11:44 -0400
Bob Tanner wrote:

Quoting Galen Johnson (gjohnson AT trantor DOT org):
The filemark is just a way for tape systems to waste tape...be glad that it's zero...the real question is what is the advertised capacity of these tapes?

7G uncompressed. The tape drive I have is listed below:

http://www.cpuinc.com/8700.html

Did you turn off hardware compression? What is the error given in the logs?

$ mt -f /dev/nst0 status
SCSI 2 tape drive:
File number=0, block number=0, partition=0.
Tape block size 1024 bytes. Density code 0x0 (default).
Soft error count since last status=0
General status bits on (41010000):
BOT ONLINE IM_REP_EN

$ mt -f /dev/nst0 densities
Some SCSI tape density codes:
code explanation 0x00 default <snip>

I could not find what the "default" setting of the tape drive is. Nor could I
find a way or option in the densities to force uncompressed (if the default is
compressed).
Typically, running either "mt -f /dev/nst0 compression 0' or "mt -f /dev/nst0 datcompression 0". I'm assuming you're running a flavor of linux. Some drives also have a way to turn the hardware compression off on the device itself. Once you are fairly certain you have compression off, rerun tapetype with something along the lines of 'tapetype -f /dev/nst0 -e 7g'. You obviously didn't get anywhere near the capacity expected. You may also want to check out the manuals for the drive and see if you have to set the blocksize to control compression and read the mt man page (under slackware 'man mt-st' to get the real man page).

Several errors:

Sep 30 20:38:27 linux kernel: st0: Error with sense data: Info fld=0x3c0, Defer
red st09:00: sense key Medium Error

Sep 28 15:27:22 linux xinetd[12977]: START: amanda pid=13189 from=127.0.0.1

Sep 28 15:27:22 linux xinetd[13189]: {general_handler} (13189) Unexpected
signal: 11 (Segmentation fault)

The logs I was referring to were the amanda debug logs...They are a bit more thorough where amanda is concerned.

=G=