Amanda-Users

Re: EXB-8700, 160m XL tapes, and tapetype

2002-09-30 22:43:10
Subject: Re: EXB-8700, 160m XL tapes, and tapetype
From: Galen Johnson <gjohnson AT trantor DOT org>
To: tanner AT real-time DOT com
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 22:25:10 -0400
Bob Tanner wrote:

amanda-2.4.3b4
EXB-8700 Tape Drive
Exabyte 160M XL tapes

Got amanda configured. But amdump keeps erroring out. I used the EXB-8500 as my
template for the EXB-8700. But since amdump wasn't working, I ran tapetype.

Here is how I ran it:

# /usr/sbin/tapetype  -f /dev/nst0

This is what I get back:

wrote 21909 32Kb blocks in 67 files in 1713 seconds (short write)
wrote 22168 32Kb blocks in 136 files in 1990 seconds (short write)
define tapetype unknown-tapetype {
   comment "just produced by tapetype program"
   length 705232 kbytes
   filemark 0 kbytes
   speed 382 kps
}

Can the filemark really be 0? I'm not 100% sure what that does or if it's
related to my problem of amanda not working.

The filemark is just a way for tape systems to waste tape...be glad that it's zero...the real question is what is the advertised capacity of these tapes? Did you turn off hardware compression? What is the error given in the logs?

=G=