Amanda-Users

Re: ERROR: no tape online

2002-09-27 19:29:06
Subject: Re: ERROR: no tape online
From: "Nicholas Berry" <nikberry AT med.umich DOT edu>
To: <amanda-hackers AT amanda DOT org>, <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>, <jfkoenig AT vipb DOT com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 19:08:55 -0400
Hi.

Don't know how, but I seem to be entering this halfway through - I can't find
the thread on Amanda Hackers.

Anyway, to answer your question (possibly) about what a changer should do:

There are three things it can return:
0 - no error, no brainer!
1 - error, but not fatal
2 - _fatal_ error.

Now what's a fatal error? Well, bear in mind that Amanda's response to a
non-fatal error will be to try to load the next tape. If you think that might
work, return 1. If you know it's hopeless, return 2.

Sorry, probably not much help.

Nik

>>> John Koenig <jfkoenig AT vipb DOT com> 09/27/02 15:54 PM >>>
>
>OTOH, I cheerfully build and install every snapshot Jean-Louis puts
>up on his site, and a lot has been "smoothed up" in the current
>2.4.3b4 snapshots.  I might be worth the effort, maybe even the
>changer stuff works for you now, its running mine just fine.

I am thinking my issue is not related to a particular version of
AMANDA. Besides, I cannot try 3b3 of any build considering the fact
that it will not build on the Tru64 platform. So I am stuck with the
tools at hand.

*** I would think that my media changer should not be incurring
*** an I/O error after the tape was loaded and after a successful
*** amcheck confirmation.

Does anyone know what would happen if this configuration was that of
a changer? How would AMANDA/amdump/amtape proceed after that error?

Moreover, how is the changer module supposed to handle this I/O
error? What should the changer pass back to amtape on stdout/stderr?

Thanks in advance.. I hope some folks can provide some guidance and
more suggestions...

I am attempting to complete the development of a changer module for
this platform, so useful information, for these purposes, would be
very helpful...

thx!