Amanda-Users

Re: ERROR: no tape online

2002-09-27 15:52:58
Subject: Re: ERROR: no tape online
From: John Koenig <jfkoenig AT vipb DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 12:30:19 -0700

OTOH, I cheerfully build and install every snapshot Jean-Louis puts
up on his site, and a lot has been "smoothed up" in the current
2.4.3b4 snapshots.  I might be worth the effort, maybe even the
changer stuff works for you now, its running mine just fine.

I am thinking my issue is not related to a particular version of AMANDA. Besides, I cannot try 3b3 of any build considering the fact that it will not build on the Tru64 platform. So I am stuck with the tools at hand.

*** I would think that my media changer should not be incurring
*** an I/O error after the tape was loaded and after a successful
*** amcheck confirmation.

Does anyone know what would happen if this configuration was that of a changer? How would AMANDA/amdump/amtape proceed after that error?

Moreover, how is the changer module supposed to handle this I/O error? What should the changer pass back to amtape on stdout/stderr?

Thanks in advance.. I hope some folks can provide some guidance and more suggestions...

I am attempting to complete the development of a changer module for this platform, so useful information, for these purposes, would be very helpful...

thx!

        ### ### ###

Initially I ran the amcheck to remind myself of what tape was
 next...

$ amcheck DailySet2
Amanda Tape Server Host Check
-----------------------------
Holding disk /net/redeye/holding/amanda: 177292000 KB disk space
 available, that's plenty ERROR: /dev/ntape/tape0: no tape online
       (expecting tape DailySet2-10 or a new tape)
NOTE: skipping tape-writable test
Server check took 119.557 seconds

        ### ### ###

        Cool.. that's slot 9!

$ robot load slot 9

        ### ### ###

$ nohup amdump DailySet2 &

        output of amdump sent via e-mail and presented below...

        ### ### ###

$ robot unload slot 9
ROBOT /dev/changer/mc0 is not responding: I/O error.

        Hmmmm....... not good...
        ${?} = 64 but Compaq does not
        provide the damn info. F*ckers.

$ robot unload slot 9
UNLOAD DRIVE 0 into SLOT 9 using ROBOT /dev/changer/mc0.

        tape successfully unloaded

Output of amdump:

*** A TAPE ERROR OCCURRED: [no tape online].
Some dumps may have been left in the holding disk.
Run amflush to flush them to tape.
The next tape Amanda expects to use is: DailySet2-10.