Amanda-Users

Re: Permission denied errors

2002-09-27 10:12:27
Subject: Re: Permission denied errors
From: Ashwin Bijur <abijur AT craft-tech DOT com>
To: Frank Smith <fsmith AT hoovers DOT com>
Date: Fri, 27 Sep 2002 09:56:06 -0400
no_root_squash doesn't seem to work. Should the machine be re-booted for the change to take effect? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Ashwin.

Frank Smith wrote:

--On Friday, September 20, 2002 11:43:51 -0400 Ashwin Bijur <abijur AT craft-tech DOT com> wrote:

We use amanda 2.4.2p2 on Red Hat Linux 7.3. We have nfs mounted a directory on the amanda server called /xtreme23/scratch. Some of the subdirectories and files under the scratch directory have permission 600. The /etc/exports file on the xtreme23 machine has the scratch directory exported with read and write permissions (/scratch *(rw)). When we run amanda, we get an error message saying "Permission Denied" for these files. Now as user=amanda and group=disk, we should be able to backup these
files.  What are we doing wrong?

I'm assuming you are using tar (since I don't think you can use dump
on an NFS mount).  Amanda uses the runtar wrapper script, which is
suid root so that tar can run as root (since tar accesses via the
filesystem it has to run as root to access all the files).
 Most OS's map NFS access requests from UID 0 (root) to nobody
or some other non-root user for security reasons.  You probably
need to change your export options on xtreme23 to include the
no_root_squash option (or whatever its called on the NFS server's
OS) for the export to the Amanda server so that root on the Amanda
server has root access to /xtreme23/scratch, so tar can see all of
the files.

Frank

Thanks in advance,
Ashwin Bijur
Assistant Systems Administrator.

--
Frank Smith fsmith AT hoovers DOT com Systems Administrator Voice: 512-374-4673 Hoover's Online Fax: 512-374-4501