Amanda-Users

trailing garbage

2002-09-23 18:42:12
Subject: trailing garbage
From: Anthony Valentine <avalentine AT sbsalaska DOT com>
To: Amanda Users <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: 23 Sep 2002 14:29:36 -0800
Hello everybody.

When I manually extract a tar image from tape, then list or extract it's
contents, I seem to always get the following:

  gzip: stdin: decompression OK, trailing garbage ignored
  gtar: Child returned status 2
  gtar: Error exit delayed from previous errors

My guess is that this is OK, and is just what is left of the last 32K
block that has no actual data in it.

Is this correct?  If not, what is this and is it bad?

Thanks in advance!

Anthony Valentine
--
UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that
would also stop you from doing clever things.