Amanda-Users

Use of tape changers?

2002-09-20 20:15:21
Subject: Use of tape changers?
From: Michael Hannon <jmh AT physics.ucdavis DOT edu>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 16:57:33 -0700
Greetings. We've been happily running Amanda on a number of different systems around here for several years. Up to this point, we've always used a single tape drive (usually high-capacity) on each tape server. Now we're getting to the point where disk capacity is exploding. Tape capacity is increasing as well, of course, but it appears that we'll soon be in a situation where one large tape drive will be inadequate. Maybe we're there already.

This has lead us to consider alternatives to our somewhat simple-minded approach to backups. One alternative would be to make finer subdivisions of the file systems that we back up (with GNU tar). I.e., instead of backing up simply:

        /home

we might put separate entries in the disklist file for:

        /home/annie
        /home/bob
        .
        .
        .
        /home/zelda

or whatever. That seems mildly tedious and probably would cause us at least to have to modify our number of tapes per cycle, buy additional tapes, etc.

Another thought we had was to throw additional money at the problem and buy some kind of tape changer. But I have what seems to me to be a fundamental question about changers that I don't see answered in the FAQ's or .../docs, etc. I.e., if we have some kind of a tape changer, does it allow us to exceed Amanda's one-tape-per-session limit? Can we make a single "virtual" tape out of multiple tapes in the changer? Or is it the function of the tape changer simply to let Amanda run unattended for as many sessions as there are tapes in the changer, but still using only one tape per session?

Thanks.

                                        - Mike

Michael Hannon            mailto:hannon AT physics.ucdavis DOT edu
Dept. of Physics          530.752.4966
University of California  530.752.4717 FAX
Davis, CA 95616-8677