Amanda-Users

Re: Dumpcycles vs Runs

2002-09-13 13:55:00
Subject: Re: Dumpcycles vs Runs
From: Niall O Broin <niall AT magicgoeshere DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 18:33:54 +0100
On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 12:57:15PM -0400, Jason Greenberg wrote:

> If I have a dumpcycle of 7 days, with 7 runs per cylce, I understand
> that I will have a full backup every 7 days.   So, if that's the case,
> here are my questions:
>
> 1) How many tapes are used for these 7 runs?  7? or just 1?

7 x runtapes (which is the number of tapes used per run)

> 2) does the tape change after every dumpcycle or every run?

After every run - amanda is a backup solution for people who are serious
about backing up their data, and that means that you don't put a number of
backups one after the other on one tape.

> 3) I have 15 tapes, and I would like to use 1 tape per week, with 15
> weeks of total history.   What would the dumpcycle / runspercycle config
> be?

You can't do that, or at least not with the above spec. You could have
dumpcycle 7 days   and  runspercycle 1  but you probably don't want to do
that :-) (because you'd only be backing up once per week) With 15 tapes,
assuming that you backup on weekdays only, and have sufficient tape
capacity, you'll get only three weeks history.

Regards,

Niall  O Broin