Amanda-Users

Re: Too many taper retries

2002-09-13 06:08:54
Subject: Re: Too many taper retries
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: Mozzi <linux AT mostert.nom DOT za>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 05:54:11 -0400
On Friday 13 September 2002 02:37, Mozzi wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Tuesday 28 April 2020 05:33, Gene Heskett wrote:
>>
>> I just noted that my clock was foobar, set for something in
>> april 2020!  As I have a daily rdate, is there any way to
>> ascertain that the rdate request to the server returns a sane
>> result before it blindly resets everything?  It happened
>> yesterday morning on cron executing my setibatch -uploads script
>> which includes this rdate command as it finishes up.
>>
>> Sort of embarrasing that I missed it for nearly 2 days.
>
>rdate -p <server>  ---> outputs the result to screen
>rdate -s <server>  ---> sets the time
>
>Mozzi

Uh huh, and it was rdate that messed it up in the first place,
apparently accepting garbage for a bad reply.  The last log entry
with the right time was about 5 minutes before a cron script
servicing my setiathome cache finished up by running rdate to set
the time.

I haven't yet changed the script, and its worked properly the last 2
times, and will be executed again in about 12 minutes.  One of the
reasons I'm sitting here at this time of the morning. :-(

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M