Amanda-Users

raw device permissions

2002-09-12 07:04:38
Subject: raw device permissions
From: Mozzi <linux AT mostert.nom DOT za>
To: amanda <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:42:57 +0200
Hi

This is my stupid question of the week ;-)
Sorry but my brain has deflated.
Please bear with me for when my newbie howto is finished I hope it will stop questions like this.

This is a direct quote from the INSTALL file

B.  Set up your raw disk devices so that the dumpuser can read
        them, and /etc/dumpdates so that the dumpuser can write to it.
        Normally this is done by making the disk devices readable by
        (and dumpdates read/writable by) group `operator', and putting
        the dumpuser into that group.

Now my problem:
Getting dumpuser to read the raw devices.
I see in Red-Hat the default group is disk
[root@backupserver docs]# ls -ahl /dev/hda
brw-rw----    1 root     disk       3,   0 Apr 11 16:25 /dev/hda

I can't just put dumpuser into group disk as that wil give it full read write access. I don't think it wil be a good idea to revoke write privelages from disk ;-)and it will not be a good idea to change the group.So what now ?

This is what stumps me.

Tnx all

Mozzi