Amanda-Users

Re: Spam's a sacrific, at least there's no viruses.

2002-09-10 14:30:39
Subject: Re: Spam's a sacrific, at least there's no viruses.
From: Gene Heskett <gene_heskett AT iolinc DOT net>
To: woods AT weird DOT com (Greg A. Woods), "Trevor Fraser" <trevor AT systematic.co DOT za>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 14:04:58 -0400
On Tuesday 10 September 2002 13:15, Greg A. Woods wrote:
[...]
>Spam is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make to freely help out
> other users of any free software, nor even to get free help for
> software I use.

Sorry, you just pulled this old mans trigger.

Its a fact of life these days, and one sets up filtering accordingly
using whatever facilities are available on ones own platform.  If
that offends you, I suggest you go back to postage stamps cause its
not gonna go away.  Not unless we want to pony up the license fee
for something like Declude, which my ISP uses to filter viri, and
to label those messages that are potentially spam because the
reverse dns don't check out, or the headers are somehow bogus.  I
haven't asked, but I'd expect that bit of winderz software set them
back 2k to 10k dollars.  Should we start a collection for the
amanda.org server?  Not when there are such things as filters in
kmail, or spamasassin.

I'm not normally this grouchy an old f--t, but if you want to play
in this sandbox (internet communications), then one should learn to
make use of the tools that are available, or go get your own
sandbox.

I help as much as I can here because its a good program and project,
and the authors don't always have time to hand-hold all the
newbies.  They did me, extensively, and now I'm returning the favor
where I can, and I'm not squawking about the 2 spams a day that get
thru.  Its certainly not worth the typing wear and tear on these
old (67+) arthritic fingers to bitch about something I can handle
in my own way by packing it up and sending it to uce AT ftc DOT gov once
or twice a day.  Like occasionally sweeping up, its part of the
housekeeping on the internet floor.

Now, lets get this list back on topic, which is amanda support and
education.

[...]

AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M
Athlon1600XP@1400mhz  512M