Amanda-Users

Re: Spam's a sacrific, at least there's no viruses.

2002-09-10 13:46:13
Subject: Re: Spam's a sacrific, at least there's no viruses.
From: woods AT weird DOT com (Greg A. Woods)
To: "Trevor Fraser" <trevor AT systematic.co DOT za>
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 13:15:05 -0400 (EDT)
[ On Tuesday, September 10, 2002 at 10:57:41 (+0200), Trevor Fraser wrote: ]
> Subject: Spam's a sacrific, at least there's no viruses.
>
> I've read through a few mails titled "Hi", and I wanted to encourage people
> to be a little tolerent.  The concept of not having to be on the list to post
> to it helps far more people all over the world than hinders a couple of
> irritated subscribers.

Please post messages with lines wrapped at a decent length.

One spam to the list irritates all subscribers (to varying degrees).
The spam will not stop on its own -- the irritation is ongoing and at
this rate never ending.

On polite bounce asking for a subscription first irritates only one
person at a time and only very temporarily.

Spam is not a sacrifice I'm willing to make to freely help out other
users of any free software, nor even to get free help for software I
use.

> <HTML><HEAD>

Please DO NOT EVER send HTML, rich text, or otherwise stylized e-mail,
especially not to me or to any public mailing list.  Not all mail
readers will recognize such formats, and their added volume is generally
a total waste of bandwidth, storage, and processing power for everyone.
HTML in particular is a potential security threat and many firewalls
filter it entirely -- especially since CERT and Microsoft have jointly
anounced a very major flaw in the HTML rendering engine used in all
Microsoft products (in versions still widely in use, and which isn't
even properly fixed in the most recent releases).

For more information see, for instance, the following article:

Please send all your messages as plain text only.

--
                                                                Greg A. Woods

+1 416 218-0098;            <g.a.woods AT ieee DOT org>;           <woods AT
robohack DOT ca>
Planix, Inc. <woods AT planix DOT com>; VE3TCP; Secrets of the Weird <woods AT
weird DOT com>