Amanda-Users

Debian amanda: changing backup operator?

2002-09-06 12:04:00
Subject: Debian amanda: changing backup operator?
From: "KEVIN ZEMBOWER" <KZEMBOWER AT jhuccp DOT org>
To: <amanda-users AT amanda DOT org>
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2002 11:24:17 -0400
I'm trying to get the Debian distribution of amanda to work with my
compiled-from-scratch version on the tapehost. I know that the general
advice of this group is to ignore the various distribution versions and
compile from scratch, but I like the idea of keeping a host within it's
package maintenance system, for the ease of updating.

The Debian version was compiled with the backup operator at "backup". I
compiled the tapehost and many of my clients with "amanda" as the backup
operator. With "amanda"  in both the /home/amanda/.amandahosts lists on
the tapehost and client, I get this message in the debug file:
bsd security: remote host admin.jhuccp.org user amanda local user
backup
check failed: [access as backup not allowed from
amanda AT admin.jhuccp DOT org] amandahostsauth failed

I've also tried all the combinations of "amanda" and "backup" in both
the tapehost and clients .amandahosts files. All return the same error.

Is there an easy solution, short of recompiling amanda? I thought the
purpose of putting the backup operator with the client's hostname in the
tapehost's .amandahosts file was to deal with this exact situation.

I'd normally check the archives for this, as I'm pretty sure this is a
FAQ, but the www.amanda.org site seems to be down, and I'm anxious for a
solution.

Thanks for your time, help and patience.

-Kevin Zembower

-----
E. Kevin Zembower
Unix Administrator
Johns Hopkins University/Center for Communications Programs
111 Market Place, Suite 310
Baltimore, MD  21202
410-659-6139