Amanda-Users

Re: amdump only to holding disk - how to do

2002-09-06 11:28:29
Subject: Re: amdump only to holding disk - how to do
From: Jon LaBadie <jon AT jgcomp DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 11:17:33 -0400
On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 11:44:35AM +0200, Walter Willmertinger wrote:

> >Is there any option to switch amdump only to dump to the (large
> >enough) holding disk?
> >We have the problem that our tape drive (Onstream ADR-50) has a

I think everyone who has an Onstream does.

> >frimware problem, as recognized by some people in this group, so
> >that the normal way which amdump uses to write to teh tape, produces
> >hardware errors, when reading the tape.
> >The firmware has problems with the large breaks between writing
> >different tape blocks, which is an usual feature of amanda.
> >
> >So I thought of
> >1. using amdump to produce the holding disk
> >2. after amdump has completely finished writing to the holding disk,
> >to use amflush to save the whole thing on tape. This should work,
> >because in this case the tape is written in one large amount without
> >any break.

Just leave the tape out, it will automatically collect on the holding disk.

This assumes you have the reserve parameter (reserve for incrementals) set
to a sufficiently low percentage.  The default is 100 I think, meaning
reserve the entire holding disk for incrementals.

> >P.S. A idea I have is to change the amanda.conf by a sed or ed-
> >script for the amdump, and after amdump, change it again to allow
> >writing to tape?

Please don't think of doing this again.  Bad idea for several reasons.

 JG Computing
 4455 Province Line Road        (609) 252-0159
 Princeton, NJ  08540-4322      (609) 683-7220 (fax)