Amanda-Users

RE: tape rotation and no space left

2002-09-05 22:15:55
Subject: RE: tape rotation and no space left
From: "Bort, Paul" <pbort AT tmwsystems DOT com>
To: amanda-users AT amanda DOT org
Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2002 22:00:50 -0400
Out of tape really means out of tape. Appends are really unlikely, as AMANDA
starts the tape write with a rewind followed by a write. No seek, no foul,
no append. (Unless you have the append patch.)

Is it possible you have hardware compression turned on? This can cause
problems if you also use software compression: the dumps tend to take more
space.

DDS3 is supposed to be good for 12Gb. Is it possible you have some DDS2
tapes mixed in? (This can happen with inherited systems)

If it were my tape, I'd put a note on the hard copy of the report, and watch
that tape next time it runs. If it gets the same error, I'd replace the
media. A reformat/retension might work, but those tapes are cheap enough
that it's not worth it.

Watch the next night's run to make sure this might not be a drive that needs
cleaning or adjustment.